Tuesday 9 November 2010

the air I breathe...

We have all heard the songs, the ones that speak about total dependence, we have read the stories of people who live and breathe the Lord and I think it is fair to say we are both inspired and disheartened when we hear it. We want to be the person who is a mess without his presence but at the same time we know we don't deserve it and we will never get there and we lose ourselves in pointless comparisons that inevitably make us feel rubbish and the last thing we want to do is talk to him. And this is where WE ARE TOTALLY WRONG!!

He doesn't want us to feel rubbish, he wants us to be hungry. He wants us to strive for more. He wants us to wake with him and rest with him. He wants us to praise him because of the intimacy that our brothers and sisters have and to strive to know him better.

I was that person; The one who felt inspired for about a minute before I realised that I couldn't be that person, that I would never have that intimacy, that it was beyond me. And then God decided to inform me that what I believed was complete rubbish. That I could push for more, I could soak in his presence and stand on his word. That he could be the air I breathe. So I want to challenge you to do the same right now... to be a person who is inspired. I pray that you would be the person who is fired up by stories of God's perfect grace, the person who claim's these stories as their own because HIS STORY IS OUR STORY!!

I want to tell you a story that changed me this week. I had been feeling rubbish; exhausted, a little miserable and like I just wanted to lie in bed. I had no idea why and was starting to think I was coming down with something. When all of a sudden it hit me. Jesus and I well we hadn't spoken in a couple of days. Not properly. I hadn't sat down to give him the time to be God in my life. I had been so busy running around like a crazy person that I forgot to spend time with the point of all of this. So I prayed; there and then I turned around, I TURNED BACK TO JESUS. And it was instant; I was energised and revitalised, I had the Spirit that brings life flowing through my veins again. It was in that moment that I realised that JESUS IS THE AIR I BREATHE.

When we focus on our own strength, our own agenda, our own needs we are essentially saying 'Jesus you really didn't need to do what you did because I can do this all on my own' which we all know is complete rubbish!! However, we he becomes our focus, when we hunger for him, when we rest in his presence we are renewed and revived. When we put him in his rightful place within our lives then he will become our very essence and you will notice!

So in the words of the Wonderful Phil Wickham....

I'm running through the gates of love, as fast as I can
I can't wait to see You I'm a desperate man
You made the light and sent it down
To show us who You are
Now It's bursting out my heart

My desire is burning like a million stars
And I'll keep reaching out, reaching out for You
My desire, is burning with the fire You sparked
And I'll keep reaching out, reaching out for You

I'd be nothing without You, yeah I would die
If I didn't have Your hand if I couldn't look into Your eyes
Jesus if Your love's the fuel then I'm the desperate flame
That's screaming out Your name

This is glory rising, over a new horizon
I See Your love, I feel Your smile
Your in my heart and I will run with all I have to You....

No comments:

Post a Comment